Since it's a holiday, this is going to be a quick one, but just because the university it closed it doesn't mean we don't have work to do. Basketball media guides are being finished up, we have home games this week and people still need interviews so even though it is a Casual Monday we are still plugging away. I also want to let my boss, Bill Shapland, know that I was here at 11 a.m. waiting for our weekly meeting and I'm not sure why he didn't show...
Anyway, we participated in a program last week called College Knowledge. It was led by Dr. Shelly Habel in academic advising and is a required course for first-year student-athletes as an introduction to life on campus.
Drew and I gave a number of riveting presentations on the dangers of social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter. We tried to keep the freshmen interested by using pictures of their very own teammates that we had pulled off of Facebook. We also hope that word gets back to the veterans that we had their embarrassing pictures up on a screen in front of 20 people. Hopefully this will be a lesson to everyone to lock up their accounts!
With the rise of Facebook and MySpace, social networking has become one more area that we oversee for our student-athletes. It is interesting because we want our kids to make themselves accessible to fans but we don't want them to embarrass themselves or their team in the process. It is a fine line between what is funny and what is inappropriate. I like to remind the student-athletes that if you wouldn't want your mother to see it, then you shouldn't post it on Facebook.
I feel like this is a pretty good tip for everyone so for some light Columbus Day reading, here are a few Facebook status messages relating to another holiday in October (thanks http://facebookstatus.blogspot.com/)
1. plans on dressing up as Kanye West for Halloween and just before the kids yell "Trick or Treat", jump out of the bushes and yell "Christmas is better".
2. warns you this Halloween to beware of strangers bearing strange tools like chainsaws, staple guns, hedge trimmers, electric carving knives, and band saws.
3. will have on his tomb stone, "See I told you I was SICK!"
4. is going to dress up as Kanye West and show up at Taylor Swift's house this Halloween.
5. hopes this Halloween, he doesn't end up with a bag full of restraining orders again.
6. wonders if he's getting old, or if others also ask for high fiber candy only on Halloween?
7. forgot to buy candy for the kids this Halloween but will offer them a bite of his sandwich.
8. hopes nobody else dresses up as Justus von Liebig, Father of biochemistry who recorded minerals in plant ash and proposed the law of minimum.
9. wonders if Lady Gaga dresses up as a normal person for Halloween???
PS Don't forget, HUGE men's soccer game on Tuesday at North Kehoe Field against No. 11/10 Maryland. We need everyone out to cheer on the Hoyas! Kickoff is 3 p.m.