Today marks the first day of classes of the Class of 2014. Yes, you read that correctly. 2014. Can you believe it? Last night was the pep rally at McDonough Arena welcoming all of the new students. It was a great time (read the recap and see video here) but it got me to thinking about what these kids have seen in their lifetime.
I know Beloit College (shout out to Wisconsin!) puts out a list every year about the incoming freshman class and what their frame of reference is, but here are some other facts that may blow your mind.
- The Redskins have never won a Super Bowl in their lifetime
- Michael Jordan was a baseball player when they were born
- They've never seen amatuer athletes compete on the Olympic Basketball Team
- They missed out on the Dream Team
- The Baltimore Ravens, Tampa Bay Rays and Charlotte Bobcats didn't exist
- They never saw the USSR or Yugoslavia compete in the Olympics
- OJ was still just a football hero, comedic actor and Isotoner pitchman
- The Winter and Summer Olympics have always been in different years
- National's draft pic Bryce Harper and Olympic gymnast Shawn Johnson were born
- Brett Favre has started every game he's played in their lifetime
I could continue for a while, it's crazy to think about what these kids have and haven't seen in their lifetime.
Last night's event was a good opportunity for new students to learn about what it takes to be a Hoya. The cheers from men's basketball and goal celebration by men's soccer were just a few of the highlights as it gave us just a little taste of Georgetown Athletics.
This weekend we have a big soccer weekend with men's games on Friday and Sunday as well as women's games on Saturday and Monday. It's going to be a crazy weekend at North Kehoe Field so come out and support our teams early!
Men's soccer has a new student section behind the goal which is sure to rattle opposing keepers!
It's going to be a great weekend and a great year here on the Hilltop, so come get excited early!!