October 4, 2005
This is the second installment on the organizational changes taking place within Georgetown athletics over the past several months. The changes described below are in offices that most frequently engage the world outside of McDonough, especially in the area of communications, fund raising, marketing, and the all-important realm of basketball tickets.
Last Friday, I described what has been happening to improve support for student-athletes and coaches. Today, I will set forth the realignments within the area of external relations.
External Relations. Presenting Georgetown Athletics to the rest of the world is about putting the best face on all facets of departmental functions. Specific objectives designed to achieve this goal include the following:
1. Create departmental focus on community relations to improve support for ongoing athletic programs and new initiatives.
2. Increase and intensify staff efforts to present best image for athletics with respect to existing facilities and game-day operations.
3. Reorganize and refocus efforts in the marketing and promotion of athletic teams.
4. Reorganize staffing of ticket operations and administration.
5. Develop integrated web communications capability to maximize non-traditional outreach efforts for department.
6. Increase sports information capacity to provide team-by-team information and communications for media purposes, for prospective recruits and for alumni/parent constituencies.
7. Redefine and strengthen fund raising and support capabilities.
CURRENT STATUS OF PLANNED CHANGES: REDEFINING EXTERNAL RELATIONS
|1. Community relations||New focus for Assoc. AD||Dwight Datcher assumes new responsibility|
|2. Operations / Facilities||Reorganization of staff responsibilities||Brian McGuire moves from Marketing/Promotions|
|3. Promotions and marketing||Reorganization of staff responsibilities||Kim Frank replaces Brian McGuire|
|4. Ticket operations||Position responsibilities reorganized||Kevin Crittendon hired to replace Kim Frank|
|5. Web communications||New position created||Allison Rubin moves from Hoyas Unlimited|
|6. Sports info||New position added||Ben Shove hired to fill new position; "Mex" Carey replaces departed Kevin Rieder; Jim Donatelli replaces Sara Perilla; Diana Pulupa replaces Dana Johnson|
|7. Fund raising||Redefine and strengthen capabilities||Replacement being sought for position formerly held by Dave Sears; Replacements for Allison Rubin, and Rick Hall expected to be hired shortly.|
Next: Part Three: A Final Peek - Improving revenues and expense management