Peak, Pryor & Govan Lead Georgetown Past No. 11 Butler, 85-81

Jan. 28, 2017

Final Stats |  USATSI Photo Gallery 

Georgetown 85, Butler 81 Get Acrobat Reader

Indianapolis, Ind. - Georgetown put three players in double figures and hit two key baskets in the final 65 seconds of play as the Hoyas beat No. 11/11 Butler, 85-81, at Hinkle Fieldhouse Saturday night.

It was the second-straight win, and the second win over a nationally-ranked team, as the Hoyas improved to 12-10 overall and 3-6 in the BIG EAST Conference, while Butler falls 18-4 overall and 7-3 in league play.

Junior guard L.J. Peak (Gaffney, S.C./Gaffney) scored a game-high 22 points, handed out six assists and grabbed three rebounds, while graduate student Rodney Pryor (Evanston, Ill./Notre Dame Prep/Robert Morris) scored 20 points and had four rebounds and sophomore center Jessie Govan (Queens Village, N.Y./Wings Academy) added 20 points, three rebounds and three blocks off the bench.

In a back-and-forth game that featured 10 ties and 19 lead changes, the Hoyas took the lead for good when Govan hit a layup with 4:15 to play. A 3-pointer from Peak pushed the lead up to five points, 79-74, but Butler narrowed the gap to two points after a trey from Avery Woodson with 2:55 left.

Both teams missed chances in the next minute until Govan sank a 3-pointer from the top of the key as the shot clock expired, giving GU an 82-77 lead. Butler's Andrew Chrabascz hit a layup to make it 82-79, but junior guard Jonathan Mulmore (New Orleans, La./Redemption Christian/Allegany CC [Md.]) hit a layup with 17 seconds left, giving GU an 84-79 and sealing the win.

The Hoyas had trailed at the half but a layup from Peak gave GU the lead back, the first of six lead changes in the opening three minutes of the second half. Butler took its biggest lead of the game, 51-48, on a jumper from Kelan Martin with 16:05 to play, but the Hoyas came right back, with layups from sophomore forward Marcus Derrickson (Bowie, Md./Brewster Academy [N.H.]) and Pryor giving GU a 52-51 lead.

A layup from Butler's Kethan Savage tied the game at 74-all with 4:29 left before Govan's layup and Peak's three set up the wild finish.

The teams went back and forth in the first half, with four ties and eight lead changes, the last coming when Butler's Martin hit a layup with 52 seconds left. Peak missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer that would have given GU the lead.

Georgetown took its biggest lead, 22-15, after a layup from sophomore forward Kaleb Johnson (South Hill, Va./Carlisle School) with 10:10 to play, capping a 10-4 run. Butler pulled to within 22-21, but the Hoyas did not relent, with a jumper from Pryor and free throws from Peak pushing the lead back to five points, 26-21. The Hoyas led 31-26 after a trey from Peak, but Butler used an 11-5 run to take a 37-36 lead on a 3-pointer from Tyler Lewis.

The Hoyas finished the game shooting 63.8 percent from the floor (30-of-47), including a blistering 72.7 percent in the second half (16-of-22). GU hit 50 percent of its 3-pointers (10-of-20) and 83.3 percent of its free throws (15-of-18). Georgetown held a 22-19 edge in rebounds and handed out 17 assists.

Georgetown stays on the road for the second game of a road trip on Tuesday, Jan. 31, visiting DePaul. Tipoff at Allstate Arena is slated for 9 p.m. The game will be shown live on FS1 and can be heard locally on 106.7 FM The Fan.



More Headlines
Georgetown to Participate in the 2018 Jersey Mike's... The Georgetown University men’s basketball team announced today that it... Georgetown to Play at Illinois in Gavitt Tipoff Games The Georgetown University's men's basketball team will play at Illinois on... Akinjo and Yurtseven to Join Georgetown Men's Basketball ... Head Men’s Basketball Coach Patrick Ewing announced that Georgetown has... No. 8 Hoyas Fall in BIG EAST Tournament First Round The eighth-seeded Georgetown University men’s basketball team could not...
Shop Now


widget powered by zoomph


There are no upcoming events within the next week.