Georgetown's Championship Run Halted By Ohio State, 67-60, In National Semifinal

March 31, 2007

Hoyas Year In Review Gallery 

Box Score |  Quotes |  AP Photo Gallery  |  Photo Gallery 

Atlanta, Ga. - Top-seeded Ohio State used a 7-0 spurt late in the second half and put three players in double figures en route to a 67-60 win over second-seeded Georgetown in the semifinals of the 2007 NCAA Tournament at the Georgia Dome.

The loss ends Georgetown's dream season with a 30-7 record, the fourth 30-win season in program history, joining the 1981-82 NCAA runner-up squad (30-7), the 1983-84 National Champions (34-3) and the 1984-85 NCAA runner-up team (35-3). It ended a seven-game win streak and was only the third loss in the last 20 games for Georgetown.

"I'm extremely proud of our group of guys," Third-year Head Coach John Thompson III said. "I'm extremely proud of the year that we had. We all are very disappointed at tonight's outcome. But, you know, we played against a very good team that played very well tonight."

The Hoyas trailed at the half by four points and managed to fight back and tie the game on three occasions in the second half, the final time on a three-pointer from junior guard Jonathan Wallace (Harvest, Ala./Sparkman) with 9:43 to play. On the next trip down the floor, junior center Roy Hibbert (Adelphi, Md./Georgetown Prep) picked up his fourth foul and went to the bench. Ohio State took advantage, scoring six-straight points in the span of one minute, taking the lead for good on a lay-in by Butler with 7:24 to play, giving the Buckeyes a 50-44 lead. A free throw from freshman center Greg Oden capped the 7-0 run and gave Ohio State a 51-44 lead.

Georgetown would go on an 8-5 run over a span of 2:53 and cut the Ohio State lead to 56-52 on a layup from sophomore guard Jessie Sapp (New York, N.Y./National Christian Academy), and had a chance to pull within one point, but could not convert and the Buckeyes followed with five-straight points. A layup from Oden and a conventional three-point play from David Lighty increased the margin to 61-52 with just over a minute to play. The Hoyas pulled to within six points, 63-57, on a three-pointer from Wallace with 22 seconds left, but would get no closer as the Buckeyes hit four free throws in the final 20 seconds to secure the win.

Georgetown scored six of the first eight points in the second half - a baseline jumper from Wallace, a dunk from Hibbert and a layup from freshman forward DaJuan Summers (Baltimore, Md./McDonogh) - and tied the game at 29-all. The teams traded baskets over the next minute and a three-pointer from Sapp gave the Hoyas their first lead since the opening minutes of the first half. The Buckeyes responded, scoring six of the next eight points - with two baskets from Oden - and taking a 44-38 lead on a put-back basket from Othello Hunter with 11:22 to play. Once again, the Hoyas returned. Hibbert scored two-straight baskets and hit one of two free throws before a three-pointer a pull-up three-pointer from Wallace in front of the Georgetown bench with 9:43 to play tied the game at 44-all.

Ohio State, however, scored the next seven points, capped by an Oden free throw with 6:37 to play, and took a 51-44 lead they would not surrender.

Hibbert got the Hoyas on board first with a hook shot in the lane after a pair of missed free throws from Oden. A three-pointer from Wallace and a jumper from Hibbert cut Ohio State's lead to 8-7, but Georgetown missed seven of its first 10 shots from the field and fell behind, 14-7, on a layup from Mike Conley with 11:49 to play in the half.

A 7-2 spurt over 2:30 was started with a three-pointer from Wallace and finished with back-to-back baskets from Hibbert as the Hoyas pulled to within one point, 15-14, after a Hibbert dunk with 7:07 to play. The Buckeyes, however, held Georgetown scoreless for 2:42 and used a 10-3 run over 3:15 to take a 25-17 lead on a jumper from Ron Lewis with 3:33 to play in the half.

The Blue and Gray cut the eight-point lead in half before the break, with Green scoring five of the team's final six points., first with a drive, followed by one of two free throws and then a put-back layup. Summers connected on one of two shots from the line as the lead was four points, 27-23, at halftime.

Hibbert and Wallace scored 19 points apiece to lead Georgetown. Hibbert hit 9-of-13 shots from the field and added six rebounds, while Wallace connected on 7-of-11 shots, including 5-of-8 from three-point land. Sapp added 10 points and four assists, while Green finished with nine points, 12 rebounds and three assists.

The Hoyas shot 49.0 percent from the floor (25-of-51), 33.3 percent from outside the arc (7-of-21) and 37.5 percent from the free throw line (3-of-8). Ohio State shot 43.9 percent from the floor(25-of-57), 28.6 percent from three-point land (4-of-14) and 68.4 percent (13-of-19) from the free line. The Buckeyes controlled the boards (37-30), while the Hoyas handed out 17 assists and committed 14 turnovers.



More Headlines
Georgetown Announces Season Ticket Renewal Incentive Program The deadline for renewing season tickets for the 2017-18 Georgetown... Rodney Pryor to Play in Portsmouth Invitational Georgetown University men’s basketball player Rodney Pryor (Evanston,... Georgetown Welcomes Patrick Ewing Back to the Hilltop WASHINGTON –Georgetown University’s men’s basketball team... Patrick Ewing Named Head Men's Basketball Coach at... Georgetown University announced today that Patrick Ewing (C’85) has...
Shop Now


widget powered by zoomph


There are no upcoming events within the next week.