Clyde's Tops Tombs in Nike Pro-City Challenge Final

Aug. 8, 2011

WASHINGTON - In some instances, it would have been hard to figure out what team to root for when watching the championship game of the Nike Pro-City Basketball League on Sunday afternoon at McDonough Arena.

On one side, playing for the Clyde's, you had former Hoya All-Americans Austin Freeman, Jeff Green and Greg Monroe, along with current Hoya redshirt freshman Aaron Bowen (Jacksonville, Fla./QEA). On the other side, playing for the Tombs, there were four incoming Georgetown freshmen - Mikael Hopkins (Hyattsville, Md./DeMatha), Otto Porter (Sikeston, Mo./Scott County Central), Jabril Trawick (Jenkintown, Pa./Abington Friends) and Greg Whittington (/Oakland Mills).

In the end, experience won out, as the Clyde's - featuring two current NBA standouts in Green (Boston Celtics) and Monroe (Detroit Pistons) and another player who recently signed a professional contract in Italy (Freeman) - opened a seven-point lead in the second overtime and held on for a thrilling 105-101 win.

It had been an exciting weekend during the playoff rounds of the Nike Pro City League and Sunday's championship game did not disappoint, with the teams tied at the half and then the young squad from the Tombs taking a lead midway through the second half before the experienced Clyde's squad methodically got back into the game.

In the second overtime, Monroe scored on a dunk on the opening possession and Clyde's held a 97-93 lead before a Trawick layup made it a two-point game. Tombs forced a turnover, but could not convert the tying basket. Monroe then found Freeman for a layup and Green hit a three-pointer, making it 102-95, with just under a minute to play.



The game went to overtime tied at 88-all after a back and forth second half. Tombs led 52-45 after a basket from Porter and a dunk from Hopkins made it 58-51. Clyde's climbed back in and a dunk from Green tied the game at 65-all. Led by Trawick, the Tombs opened an 84-76 with four minutes left as the freshman scored nine points during a late run, but it was short-lived, as Clydes, led by seven points from Monroe, used an 11-0 run and took an 87-84 lead after free throws from Green.

Porter hit a basket with 1:26 to play to narrow the lead to 87-86 and a free throw from Freeman made it 88-86 Clyde's, but a basket from Tombs tied the game at 88-all. Clyde's had a chance for the win in regulation when Freeman drove to the basket, but goaltending was called on one of his teammates and the game went to the first extra session.

Porter and Trawick scored 21 points apiece to lead Tombs, while Whittington added eight points and Hopkins added nine points. Bowen chipped in 10 points for Clyde's, while Monroe led the way with 30 points, Green added 27 and Freeman added 11.

More Headlines
AKINJO AND YURTSEVEN TO JOIN GEORGETOWN MEN’S... Head Men’s Basketball Coach Patrick Ewing announced that Georgetown has... No. 8 Hoyas Fall in BIG EAST Tournament First Round The eighth-seeded Georgetown University men’s basketball team could not... Georgetown to Play St. John's in BIG EAST Tournament The Georgetown University men’s basketball team will face St. John̵... Derrickson Named All-BIG EAST Second Team; Blair and... Georgetown University junior men’s basketball player Marcus Derrickson ...
Shop Now


widget powered by zoomph


There are no upcoming events within the next week.