Georgetown Falls to Lehigh

Nov. 1, 2008

Box Score |  GALLERY

Washington, D.C. - The Lehigh Mountain Hawks (3-5,2-1) scored three unanswered touchdowns to take down the Georgetown Hoyas (1-7,0-4) 33-13. Lehigh had lost its last two games coming into the contest, but left with its second Patriot League win.

The Hoyas took a 13-7 lead after the first quarter, but could not keep Lehigh out of the end zone in the second, as they scored two more times to take a 20-13 halftime lead.

Mountain Hawk junior linebacker, Al Pierce intercepted a pass on the Hoyas opening possession of the third quarter and took it 37-yard for a touchdown, to take a 26-13 lead. The Mountain Hawks defense continued to frustrate GU in the second half, holding them scoreless.

Lehigh was led by sophomore quarterback J.B. Clark, who threw for 21-30 for 199 yards and two touchdowns. Junior wide receiver Brian Ruyak accounted for 86 of the receiving yards and scored one touchdown.

The Hoyas were led by sophomore quarterback Keerome Lawrence, who threw for 106 yards and one touchdown. Lawrence also ran for 57 of the teams 170 rushing yards.

In the first quarter, Lehigh drove within the Georgetown 10-yard line when the Hoyas committed a costly offsides penalty that negated a fumble recovery. After the penalty, Lehigh scored on a seven-yard pass from Clark to senior Mike Fitzgerald to put Lehigh up 7-0.

Georgetown answered, scoring on its first two possessions. On the Hoyas first drive they scored on a 21-yard pass from Lawrence to senior Kenny Mitchell to tie the game, 7-7.

Hoyas junior, Chris Rau, intercepted a pass on Lehigh's next offensive play that led to a two-yard rushing touchdown by freshman Keion Wade, putting the Hoyas ahead 13-7 after a missed extra point.

The Mountain Hawks took control in the second quarter, scoring two touchdowns. The first score was a 10-yard run by senior Matt McGowan, but a failed extra point kept the score tied at 13 a piece.

Lehigh, who controlled the ball for 17:41 in the first half, used the clock to their advantage, scoring with only 2:28 left in the half. Clark threw his second touchdown pass of the half to Ruyak, to pull the Mountain Hawks ahead 20-13 going into the locker room for halftime.

The Mountain Hawks carried the momentum into the third quarter. Pierce intercepted a pass on the first play in the second half, and returned it 37-yards for a touchdown.

Lehigh once again failed on its extra point attempt, but still held a 26-13 advantage.

Georgetown tried to recapture the momentum after a partially blocked punt, but could not convert on a fourth down conversion. Lehigh took over on its own 23-yard line, and completed an 11-play drive that was capped off by a one-yard touchdown run by senior fullback Adam Watson to put the Mountain Hawks up 33-13.

Both squads return to action on Saturday, November 8, as Lehigh returns home to take on Colgate at 12:30 p.m. The Hoyas will celebrate Senior Day on Saturday, as they host Marist Red Foxes.



More Headlines
McLaughlin, Williamson Named to Academic All-Patriot... The Georgetown University football team had two student-athletes named to the... Five Hoyas Earn All-Patriot League Honors The Georgetown University football team had five student-athletes earn nods... Khristian Tate Earns Third Patriot League Honorable... Georgetown University sophomore defensive lineman Khristian Tate has been... Georgetown Football Falls to Colgate on Senior Day The Georgetown University football team closed out the 2017 season on...
Shop Now


widget powered by zoomph


There are no upcoming events within the next week.