No. 12 Men's Lacrosse Falls to No. 2 Syracuse, 8-5 in Front of a Sell-Out Crowd at Multi-Sport Field

March 7, 2009

Final Stats

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The No. 12 Georgetown University lacrosse team (1-2) could not keep pace with No. 2 Syracuse (3-1), as the Orange outscored the Hoyas 2-0 in the fourth quarter to seal an 8-5 victory before a sell-out crowd of 2,942 at the Multi-Sport Field on the campus of Georgetown University.

Andrew Brancaccio (Bethesda, Md./Georgetown Prep) scored two goals for the Hoyas and Dan Vinson (Pleasant Hill, Calif./De La Salle) went 12-4 in the face off circle, while the Hoyas outshot the Orange 45-36 in the loss.

Syracuse got on the board first at the 12:11 mark in the first quarter, as Dan Hardy took the feed from Jake Moulton on the right side of the circle, then beat Jack Davis to the top left corner. The score would remain the same until the end of the first quarter, despite 13 shots by the Orange.

Syracuse did not wait long to extend its lead in the second quarter. Greg Niewieroski finished a pass from Kenny Nims in front of the cage at the 14:27 mark to take a 2-0 lead.

Brancaccio got the Hoyas offense started, cutting the lead to 2-1 after putting a side-armed shot on the ground past John Galloway, the Orange's goalkeeper, near the ten-minute mark in the second quarter. The score remained the same at the half, as the Hoyas defense held the Orange, who had scored 21 first half goals over its first three games, to just two.

In the third quarter Stephen Keough scored the Orange's third goal of the game on the assist from Jovan Miller to widen the gap to two goals, but Scott Kocis (Huntington, N.Y./Huntington) answered less than a minute later with an unassisted goal, to bring the Hoyas within one at 3-2. Josh Amidon scored inside the eight-minute mark to put the Orange back in front by two, 4-2.



The Hoyas took advantage an extra man opportunity when Brancaccio put a side-arm shot past the keeper on the assist from Kocis to close the gap to one again. But Syracuse regained the two goal advantage at the 2:41 mark, as Keough scored his second goal of the game on Hardy's assist.

Craig Dowd scored inside the two-minute mark on an assist from Zack Angel. Less than a minute later Todd Cochran (Wayne, Pa./Conestoga) scored to tie the game at five goals apiece. The tie was short lived, as Matt Abbott scored with under a minute in the third to help the Orange take a 6-5 lead into the final quarter.

The Orange took control in the final quarter, scoring the only two goals to take the game's biggest lead of three, 8-5, the eventual final score. The loss drops the Hoyas to 4-14 all-time against the Orange.

The Hoyas return to action when they travel to University of Delaware on Wednesday, March 11 to take on the Blue Hens at 7 p.m. The next home game is on Wednesday, March 25 when they host Harvard at 3:30 p.m.

More Headlines
No. 18/17 Hoyas Defeat NJIT in Home Finale Georgetown University’s men’s lacrosse team defeated visiting... No. 18/17 Men's Lacrosse Hosts NJIT in 2018 Home Finale Georgetown University’s men’s lacrosse team welcomes NJIT to the ... Ryan Hursey Selected by Chesapeake Bayhawks in MLL Draft Georgetown University senior Ryan Hursey (Finksburg, Md./Westminster) was... Marrocco, Wittenberg Earn BIG EAST Weekly Honors Georgetown University senior Nick Marrocco (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) was named...
Shop Now


widget powered by zoomph


April 21
W, 15-6
Cooper Field
April 28
1:00 PM
St. Johns
Queens, N.Y.

May 3
BIG EAST Semifinals
Villanova, Pa.

May 5
BIG EAST Championship
Villanova, Pa.