Georgetown Falls to No. 1 Syracuse in Overtime in Face-Off Classic at M&T Bank Stadium

March 12, 2011


Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

BALTIMORE, Md. - Sophomore attackman Davey Emala (Baltimore, Md./Gilman) scored three of his game-high five goals in the fourth quarter and Gerry Reilly scored the equalizer, as the Georgetown University men's lacrosse team (2-3, 1-1 BIG EAST) took the No. 1 Syracuse Orange (4-0, 1-0 BIG EAST) to overtime, but the Hoyas would fall as the Orange scored the game-winner in the extra period to seal a 9-8 win in the first game of the Konica Minolta Face-Off Classic at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, Md.

The Hoyas never trailed by more than two goals throughout the game, as Emala tied a career-high with five goals, giving him 10 in his last two games.

Still, it looked as if the Blue & Gray would fall a goal short in the fourth quarter, as the Orange ran two minutes off the clock after Emala cut the lead to one goal at 8-7. The Hoyas defense, which held Syracuse to a season-low nine goals, took the ball away late, as Chris Nourse (Erieville, N.Y./The Hotchkiss School) passed the ball to Reilly. Reilly began his run at the Syracuse goal with 12 seconds, the ball reached the back of the net with five seconds remaining in the game to send it to overtime. It was the first goal of the season for the midfielder.

In overtime, Syracuse took possession early enabling Stephan Keogh to score his fourth goal of the day to end the game with 2:19 remaining.

Rickey Mirabito (Binghamton, N.Y./Chenango Forks) and Brian Casey (Bethesda, Md./Georgetown Prep) each had a goal and an assist. Barney Ehrmann (Baltimore, Md./Gilman) picked up three ground balls and caused three turnovers and Dan Hostetler (Ellicott City, Md./River Hill) picked up six ground balls. Jack Davis made 13 saves in the loss. Overall Georgetown won the ground ball battle, taking 41 to the Orange's 27, while Brian Tabb went 11-of-20 in the face-off circle for the Blue & Gray.

Early in the first quarter, the Hoyas fell into a quick 2-0 hole behind goals from Jovan Miller and JoJo Marasco. Emala would ignite the Hoyas' offense, tucking a behind the head shot into the lower left hand corner of the cage with 5:41 remaining in the first to cut the Orange's lead in half.

He struck again on an extra-man opportunity soon after, taking a pass from Mirabito and hitting just inside the lower right hand corner of the goal to tie the score at two.

The game remained tied through the first 10 minutes of the second quarter, until Syracuse's Jeremy Thompson scored from ten yards in front of the cage to regain the lead. Stephan Keogh added another goal just over a minute later two extend the lead to two goals, to go into halftime with a 4-2 lead.

Mirabito opened the third quarter with a goal, as he drove to the cage and shot low to beat John Galloway. Keogh scored his second of the game for Syracuse to build the lead back to two, 5-3.

With just over seven minutes remaining in the third quarter, Casey made a run at the cage, jumped and shot low to score, bringing the Hoyas within one goal, at 5-4. Keogh would answer again for Syracuse as the Orange converted on the two-man advantage, their first extra-man opportunity of the game, to regain a two-goal advantage, 6-4.

In the fourth quarter, as Syracuse scored Emala answered. The Orange's Miller built the lead back to two, but Emala scored 39 seconds later to bring the Hoyas back within one. The Orange would score again at the 10:19 mark in the fourth. Emala scored with a man advantage 24 seconds later to make the score, 7-6.

Marasco wrapped around the crease and shot into the lower left corner of the cage to put the Orange back in front by two, 8-6. But again, Emala had an answer, picking up a loose ball in front of the cage and finding space to put a shot into the back of the goal to bring Georgetown back within one, 8-7.

The Orange seemed content to run the clock out, but the Hoyas created a turnover and Nourse found a streaking Reilly, who tied the score for the first time since 2-2, sending the game into overtime.

Syracuse took possession early in the extra period and did not give it up, as Keogh scored his fourth goal of the game to send Syracuse to a 9-8 win.

Georgetown returns to action against BIG EAST opponent Providence College on Saturday, March 19 at 1 p.m. It will be the Hoyas first home date at Multi-Sport Field of the 2011 season. The game will be televised on Verizon Fios1. Fans can also tune in on with Chuck Timanus providing the call.



More Headlines
Brodie Merrill (C’05) Named to Team Canada at 2018 ... Former Georgetown University standout Brodie Merrill (C’05) was... Ryan Hursey Named a USILA Scholar All-American Georgetown University’s Ryan Hursey (Finksburg, Md./Westminster) capped... Four Hoyas Earn USILA All-America Honors Four Georgetown University men’s lacrosse players earned All-America... Matt Behrens Selected as Division 1 YRL Unsung Hero Award... Georgetown University senior Matt Behrens (Bronxville, N.Y./Bronxville) was...
Shop Now


widget powered by zoomph


There are no upcoming events within the next week.