Georgetown and Michigan Draw, 2-2



Sept. 11, 2011

Box Score

WASHINGTON - The Georgetown University men's soccer squad finished its tour of the state of Michigan on Sunday with a 2-2 decision against the University of Michigan Wolverines (1-4-1). The Hoyas were ahead late, but a goal in the 89th minute forced overtime and the eventual tie. Georgetown is now 3-1-1 on the season.

"We really played well enough to win today and the boys are disappointed because they feel they should have won, but to go on the road and come away with two results on the weekend against two very good teams is not an easy thing to do," said Georgetown Head Coach Brian Wiese.

Leading by one in the 89th minute, a Wolverine corner kick turned the tide as a Michigan header into freshman goalkeeper Tomas Gomez's (Webster Groves, Mo./Webster Groves) hands went just over the line for the Wolverine equalizer.

After two overtime periods, neither squad could find the back of the net again resulting in the 2-2 draw.

"The boys really handled their (Michigan's) goal well," said Wiese. "They could have got down on themselves in overtime and lost the game, but they regrouped and had chances in the last 20 minutes."

The Blue & Gray struck first after a scoreless first half as junior Andy Riemer (McLean, Va./Georgetown Prep) headed in a cross from classmate Jimmy Nealis (Massapequa, N.Y./Massapequa) in the 50th minutes to give the Hoyas the first lead of the contest.

Just a minute later, the Wolverines returned the favor knocking in a cross in front of the goal.

Georgetown's second goal of the afternoon came after sophomore Steve Neumann (New Hope, Pa./Council Rock North) forced a Michigan turnover and blasted the ball into the net to make it 2-1.

"Stevie (Neumann) might be one of the best scorers in college soccer," said Wiese. "When you look at the percentage of how many goals he scores, based on how many shots he takes, it's remarkable. Once again today his goal required just a brilliant finish."



Neumann's goal was poised to be the game winner, but it wasn't in the cards as Michigan scored in the 90th minute and the teams eventually tied.

The Wolverines outshot the Hoyas, 15-14, but Georgetown had eight corner kicks to Michigan's six. Both keepers managed one save for the afternoon.

Once again, cards made an appearance in the game as the squads combined for six as well as 47 fouls.

After a Big 10 weekend, the Blue & Gray will play a pair of Ivy League foes next weekend. The Hoyas finish up the road trip at the University of Pennsylvania on Friday and then host Princeton University on Sunday.

Georgetown soccer alum Rudy Fuller is once again at the helm of the Penn program as the squads meet for the 7 p.m., matchup.

More Headlines
Top Videos
DOWNLOAD SCHEDULE: Add to calendar
Sunday, Aug 17
Sport Opponent Time Coverage
Men's Soccer at Penn State 6:00 PM
Saturday, Aug 23
Sport Opponent Time Coverage
Men's Soccer at Virginia 7:00 PM
Friday, Aug 29
Sport Opponent Time Coverage
Men's Soccer at Indiana 8:00 PM
Sunday, Aug 31
Sport Opponent Time Coverage
Men's Soccer vs Notre Dame 11:30 AM
Friday, Sept 5
Sport Opponent Time Coverage
Men's Soccer Harvard 4:00 PM GameTracker
Sunday, Sept 7
Sport Opponent Time Coverage
Men's Soccer Wisconsin 1:00 PM GameTracker
Thursday, Sept 11
Sport Opponent Time Coverage
Men's Soccer VCU 4:00 PM GameTracker
Sunday, Sept 14
Sport Opponent Time Coverage
Men's Soccer UC Irvine 1:00 PM GameTracker
Wednesday, Sept 17
Sport Opponent Time Coverage
Men's Soccer at Princeton 7:00 PM
Online Stores & Tickets
Official Store
Vivid Seats
Gameday Live

Follow us! @GeorgetownHoyas