Hoya Comeback Downs Stony Brook in Overtime

Sept. 20, 2017

Box Score

WASHINGTON - The No. 16 Georgetown University men’s soccer squad was staring at a two-goal deficit before late-game heroics completed a three-goal comeback to defeat Stony Brook University (5-2-1), 3-2, in overtime in a nonconference matchup on Wednesday afternoon at Shaw Field. With the win, the Hoyas improve to 5-1-1 on the season.

“The guys were resilient today,” said Georgetown Head Coach Brian Wiese. “They knew they weren’t playing well, but they kept pushing and found a way to get some goals. At the end of the year, no one is going to say ‘we didn’t win well’, they’ll only remember that we won.”

After dominating possession throughout overtime, the game winner came in the 98th minute as the ball was served into the box to senior Declan McCabe (Weston, Mass./The Rivers School). The midfielder found junior Edson Martinez (Salem, Ore./North Salem) at the top of the box and he sent it into traffic. The ball fell to the feet of junior defender Peter Schropp (Omaha, Neb./Creighton Prep) who finished into the back of the net for the golden goal.

Following a second Seawolf goal early in the second half, the Blue & Gray was forced to battle back from the deficit.

Georgetown didn’t back down following the goal. A second chance shot went wide from Martinez. The ball then fell to freshman midfielder Foster McCune (Bethesda, Md./St. Albans School) whom had just entered the game. McCune sent a lofty ball into the box, and Stony Brook keeper Jacob Braham lost it in the sun allowing it to float past his hands and into the net to cut the lead to one, 2-1.



The last 10 minutes of regulation were wild as Georgetown finally found some momentum. The fancy footwork of Dodson resulted in a shot from McCabe that was blocked. The ball came back out into the box, and senior forward Zach Knudson (Oakland, N.J./DePaul Catholic/NC State) slid into the goal to get it past the line and tie the game at two in the 89th minute. It marked Knudson’s first goal of the season.

Georgetown had chances as the seconds ticked away, including a free kick and a corner. Neither could generate the game winner as the squads went into overtime. The Hoyas eventually found the game winner from Schropp.

GU possessed the ball for much of the first, but couldn’t generate dangerous attempts. The difference came in the 25th minute as a flurry of shots from the Seawolves gave them a number of chances. The ball was cleared off of the end line and sent back to the top corner. It was sent to Akeem Morris who spun and bent it around the defense and just inside the far post to make it 1-0.

Late in the half, freshman forward Derek Dodson (Aurora, Ill./Waubonsie Valley) had the best look of the half for the Blue & Gray as his shot was blocked in the box. The Hoyas could never really get anything going and went into the break trailing, 1-0.

The Hoyas outshot the Seawolves, 22-7, and took eight corner kicks to Stony Brook’s five. Braham took the loss with four saves in the net, while junior goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski (Alamo, Cali./De La Salle) was awarded the victory with two stops to his credit. The win marked GU’s third-consecutive overtime match and the first winning result in extra minutes this season.

The Hoyas will be back in action on Saturday at DePaul in a BIG EAST Conference matchup. Kickoff is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET. Live stats and a webcast will be available on www.GUHoyas.com.

More Headlines
Knight and Yaro Earn Awards as Georgetown Holds... Former Georgetown University men’s soccer player Joshua Yaro (Santa... Nikopolidis Joins Men’s Soccer Newcomers for 2018 Goalkeeper Giannis Nikopolidis (Athens, Greece/Nea Genia Zirdi) signed a... Connor Klekota Joins Men’s Soccer Staff Georgetown University Head Coach Brian Wiese has announced the addition of... Georgetown Selected to Participate in U.S. Soccer Spring ... The Georgetown University men’s soccer team is one of six squads to be ...
Shop Now


widget powered by zoomph


There are no upcoming events within the next week.