No. 9/15 Hoyas Defeat Rutgers in Overtime, 1-0

Steve Neumann

Sept. 22, 2012

Box Score

WASHINGTON - It was freshman forward Brandon Allen (Old Bridge, N.J./St. Joseph's) for his fifth game winner of the season as the Georgetown University men's soccer team downed the Rutgers University Scarlet Knights (3-3-0, 0-1-0 BIG EAST), 1-0, in overtime Saturday afternoon at North Kehoe Field. Allen's goal gave the Hoyas three points in their BIG EAST Conference opener and helped the Blue & Gray improve to 8-0-1 overall as well as 1-0-0 in the BIG EAST.

"Three points is important and we talk to the guys when we get into this time of year with the difference in how these games feel," said Georgetown Head Coach Brian Wiese. "The challenge for us is, can we continue to relax and play and be who we are when the stakes get higher and higher?"

Rutgers held the pace for the first ten minutes of the game with a number of good looks at the goal, while the Hoya defense was on its heels. Soon Georgetown settled down and junior forward Steve Neumann (New Hope, Pa./Council Rock North) began to shoot.

As Georgetown began to attack, it was Neumann that had chance after chance at the net forcing Rutgers keeper Kevin McMullen to make some acrobatic saves. The closest was a ball sent forward by senior defender Jimmy Nealis (Massapequa, N.Y./Massapequa) to a streaking Neumann who fired off of the quick restart, but wasn't able to catch McMullen off of his line as he dove to the left for the stop.

Late in the first, the Scarlet Knights had their best chance of the half as a shot went through the hands of Georgetown goalkeeper Keon Parsa (West Hills, Calif./El Camino Real) and toward the goal line. Freshman defender Cole Seiler (Anderson, S.C./Christ Church Episcopal School) hustled back to clear it to keep it scoreless at the break.



The Hoyas outshot Rutgers, 13-3, in the first but couldn't find the back of the cage.

Rutgers came out fired up in the second half controlling much of the pace. The Hoyas had one good chance as Allen's header went high. However, it was the Scarlet Knights that looked to be the dangerous team.

In the 73rd minute, a foul in the box by Parsa resulted in a Rutgers penalty kick. He went left and Parsa managed to stretch out and get his fingertips on it to stop the shot and keep it scoreless.

"Keon worked hard to make his own headlines today," said Wiese. "To his credit, what a great save. To have the season we want, guys need to make plays and that's what Parsa did."

Late in the half, Georgetown had one last shot as Nealis' long bomb hit the crossbar and the shot off of the ensuing rebound went high as the game went into overtime.

Despite tired legs, the Blue & Gray managed to find a way once again just five minutes into overtime. Allen received the ball at the top of the box and lumbered through a group of Scarlet Knight defenders to get the open look and finish perfectly to the right corner giving the Hoyas the sudden victory 1-0 decision.

Georgetown outshot Rutgers, 26-10, with 11 shots on goal to RU's six. The Scarlet Knights took four corner kicks, while the Hoyas attempted three and McMullen posted 10 saves as Parsa managed six along with the shutout victory.

The Blue & Gray will head out on the road for the next two matches playing at James Madison University on Tuesday. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m., in Harrisonburg, Va. Live stats and a webcast will be available at through the JMU athletic website.

More Headlines
Knight and Yaro Earn Awards as Georgetown Holds... Former Georgetown University men’s soccer player Joshua Yaro (Santa... Nikopolidis Joins Men’s Soccer Newcomers for 2018 Goalkeeper Giannis Nikopolidis (Athens, Greece/Nea Genia Zirdi) signed a... Connor Klekota Joins Men’s Soccer Staff Georgetown University Head Coach Brian Wiese has announced the addition of... Georgetown Selected to Participate in U.S. Soccer Spring ... The Georgetown University men’s soccer team is one of six squads to be ...
Shop Now


widget powered by zoomph


There are no upcoming events within the next week.