No. 19 Hoyas Use Late Goal to Down Tigers, 3-2

Brandon Allen

Sept. 22, 2013

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

WASHINGTON - The No. 19 Georgetown University men's soccer squad needed almost all 90 minutes, but managed to pull out the 3-2 victory over the Princeton University Tigers (1-4) on Sunday at Shaw Field in the second game of the BIG EAST/Ivy League Challenge. After trailing by a goal, Georgetown managed two comebacks to get the victory and improve to 6-2 on the season.

"We needed a game like this, we're eight games in and the only times we've been down was in the first game where we didn't respond well and in overtime," said Georgetown Head Coach Brian Wiese. "As a coach, we need to do that again and manage adversity better. We went down a goal, got it back quick which is nice to see."

The Tigers started strong controlling the run of play early and getting some good looks. In the 24th minute, Chris Benedict served it in from the right side. Nico Hurtado got the pass and sent into the top left corner to take a 1-0 lead.

The Hoyas regrouped and took over the game with possession. It took just two minutes for the equalizer on a perfect combination. Sophomore forward Brandon Allen (Old Bridge, N.J./St. Joseph's) sent it to freshman midfielder Alex Muyl (New York, N.Y./Bard). Muyl made a move at the six and passed to senior forward Steve Neumann (New Hope, Pa./Council Rock North) who shot at the far post to tie it at one.

The Blue & Gray managed to take the lead before the half on a free kick. The foul placed the ball twenty yards out in the middle of the field and the Hoyas had a good look at the net. Neumann and Allen both lined up for the kick, and it was Allen who sent it to the left post where it ricocheted off the post, the keeper and in to make it 2-1.

The Hoyas had a number of good looks early in the second, but the Tigers weren't finished. Princeton gained momentum with twenty minutes remaining in the contest and began coming at the Georgetown defense.

In the 76th minute, Patrick O'Neil sent a ball into the box where it found Thomas Sanner who hit it in at the right post to tie it for the second time in the game.

GU had little time to find an answer, but it didn't take long. In the 81st minute, junior midfielder Tyler Rudy (Olney, Md./Sherwood) took a touch at the top of the 18 and shot it to the right, sending it past Tiger goalkeeper Seth MacMillan for the third goal which would be the game winner.

Despite Rudy's goal, the Blue & Gray had to buckle down on defense for ten minutes and GU goalkeeper Keon Parsa (West Hills, Calif./El Camino Real) was forced to come up with a big save to hold on for the 3-2 victory.

The Hoyas outshot the Tigers, 10-8, and took five corner kicks to Princeton's two. MacMillan posted two saves, while Parsa had one in the net and took the win for the Blue & Gray after subbing in for junior Tomas Gomez (Webster Groves, Mo./Webster Groves).

Georgetown will open BIG EAST Conference play on Saturday as the squad takes on the No. 5 Creighton University Bluejays at Shaw Field. Live stats and a webcast featuring Dan Helfrich and Tom Greaser will be available at Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.



More Headlines
Men’s Soccer Releases 2018 Schedule The Georgetown University men's soccer program released its schedule for 2018... Knight and Yaro Earn Awards as Georgetown Holds... Former Georgetown University men’s soccer player Joshua Yaro (Santa... Nikopolidis Joins Men’s Soccer Newcomers for 2018 Goalkeeper Giannis Nikopolidis (Athens, Greece/Nea Genia Zirdi) signed a... Connor Klekota Joins Men’s Soccer Staff Georgetown University Head Coach Brian Wiese has announced the addition of...
Shop Now


widget powered by zoomph


There are no upcoming events within the next week.