Hoyas Clinch BIG EAST Tourney Spot with 2-0 Win over Pittsburgh

Oct. 27, 2007

Box Score

Photo Gallery

Washington, D.C. - Junior Sean Bellomy (Dallas, Texas/Jesuit College Prep) scored two goals for the first time in his career and freshman Chandler Diggs (Coppell, Texas/Coppell) extended his point-scoring streak to four games with an assist as the Georgetown University men's soccer team posted a 2-0 BIG EAST Conference victory over visiting Pittsburgh at North Kehoe Field on Saturday afternoon. The Hoyas, winners of three of its last four games, improve to 6-10-0, 4-5-0 in league action and clinch a berth in the BIG EAST Tournament.

Georgetown recorded 10 shots on goal and out-shot the Panthers, 17-8 for the match. Hoya freshman goalkeeper Matthew Brutto (Warrington, Pa./Central Bucks South) notched his third shutout in seven starts.

Freshmen Robert Burnett (Plano, Texas/Plano West) and Ibukun Otegbeye (Winter Park, Fla./Winter Park) were both credited with an assist on Bellomy's first goal while Diggs handed out an his third assist of the season for his team-best ninth point.

"We've been playing well offensively for the last few weeks," said second-year head coach Brian Wiese. "We didn't know what the wet conditions would do but we wanted the boys to be patient. We tried to attack hard over the final twenty minutes and fortunately today the game plan worked."



Pittsburgh seemed to control the pace over the first 15 minutes or so but the Panthers were not able to muster a shot on goal.

Georgetown's Mostofa Ebrahimnejad (Columbia, Md./Hammond) ripped a left-footed shot from 26 yards out with 3125 minutes to go in the first half. The ball skipped on the wet turf and short-hopped Pitt goalikeeper, Jordan Marks but Marks was able to handle the carom.

The Hoyas kept the pressure on when Seth C'deBaca (Albuquerque, N.M./Sandia Prep) ripped a right-footed shot with 15 minutes to go before halftime that Marks had to dive to his left to deflect.

The game's most exciting play came in the 70th minute. With 27:12 to go in regulation, Hoya senior Mike Glaccum (Philadelphia, Pa./La Salle) crossed a ball from the right wing right to Scott Larrabee (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif./Loyola High School of Los Angeles) who half volleyed a ball with a swinging right foot that Marks made an acrobatic save on to keep the game scoreless.

Georgetown got on the board in the 79th minute. The Hoyas were in their offensive third. Burnett played a ball back to Otebeye, who from 35 yards out, played a service towards the middle of the box. Bellomy was able to out-jump a group of players and loft a header over the outstretched arms of Marks for a 1-0 GU advantage.

The Hoyas put the game away with just 1:30 to go in regulation. Bellomy netted his second goal of the game and his third marker of the season after one-timing a ball from the center of the 18-yard box after taking a pass from Diggs.

"The win makes me feel good," said Wiese. "I'm thrilled for Sean (Bellomy). He's been a utility guy for us, playing almost every position on the field except goalkeeper. He does everything well. He's been one of our best finishers in training so we keep him up front because he can make dangerous plays."

The Hoyas next travel to Seton Hall for a pivotal Blue Division matchup at 7 p.m on Wednesday, October 31.

More Headlines
Marcinkowski Named to Roster for 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup Georgetown University sophomore goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski (Alamo, Calif./De ... Men’s Soccer Shaves Heads for St. Baldrick’s Earlier this month, members of the Georgetown University men's soccer team... Men’s Soccer Names 2017 Captains Georgetown University Head Men's Soccer Coach Brian Wiese announced the 2017 ... Men’s Soccer Changes Spring Game Location The Georgetown University men’s soccer team has announced a location...
Shop Now


widget powered by zoomph


There are no upcoming events within the next week.