Men's Soccer Wins BIG EAST Blue Division Title; Defeats No. 6/6 Connecticut, 1-0

Oct. 28, 2010

Box Score
Photo Gallery

WASHINGTON - The No. RV/21 Georgetown University men's soccer team made history on Thursday as the Hoyas defeated the No. 6/6 University Connecticut Huskies (10-2-4, 4-1-3 BIG EAST), 1-0, to win the BIG EAST Blue Division Championship. The Blue & Gray defeated one of the highest ranked opponents in program history, continued a nine-game win streak and won the division championship marking the program's first championship since 1994. Georgetown is now 11-4-1 on the season and 7-1 in conference play.

The victory also marked Connecticut's first conference loss and second loss of the season after falling to the University of Maryland on October 5. Prior to Thursday, the Huskies had given up just four goals on the year. Thursday's contest was rescheduled after inclement weather cancelled the game from Wednesday.

"UConn is obviously one of the best teams in the country and we knew today was going to be a tight game," said Head Coach Brian Wiese. "We knew one goal might do it today and Steve Neumann prevailed over Josh Ford."

Connecticut came in to the North Kehoe Field with a national ranking and a lot on the line. However, the Blue & Gray was sharp right from the start as sophomore defender Tommy Muller (Altamonte Springs, Fla./Trinity Prep) hit the crossbar on a header off of a free kick in the 15th minute.

The Hoyas stopped a powerful offensive attack allowing no shots on goal in the first half for the squads to go into the break scoreless.

Georgetown looked even stronger in the second half with a pair of near goals. Senior forward Jose Colchao (Fairfax, Va./Lake Braddock Secondary School) shot from just a few feet from goal, but his shot went left. Minutes later, senior midfielder Seth C'deBaca (Albuquerque, N.M./Sandia Prep) hit a dangerous free kick bending around the wall and to the inside of the right post as it ricocheted out.

The Blue & Gray continued its momentum and finally got on the board in the 74th minute. Senior midfielder Henry Tembon (London, England/School at Church Farm) threw it in on the right side to sophomore midfielder Ian Christianson (Cedar Rapids, Iowa/Christian Life) who got it through the defense to freshman Steve Neumann (New Hope, Pa./Council Rock North) who was a few yards from goal and hit the left corner of the net for his tenth goal of the season.

"Ian put in a great ball and Stevie just managed to get it in, they both played a great game today," said Wiese.

The defense managed to stay strong for a few more minutes, flooding the field as the whistle sounded with the 1-0 victory and the division championship.

The Hoyas outshot the Huskies, 10-3, and took two corner kicks to Connecticut's three. Georgetown goalkeeper Matthew Brutto (Warrington, Pa./Central Bucks South) had one save in the net, while Josh Ford had none.

The Blue & Gray has earned a first-round bye in the BIG EAST Tournament. The Hoyas will face Notre Dame on Sunday and will have a week off before hosting a quarterfinal game at North Kehoe Field on Saturday, November 6.

Georgetown will play at Notre Dame on Sunday at 6 p.m., the game was moved from Saturday morning. Live stats and a webcast will be available at



More Headlines
Men’s Soccer Releases 2018 Schedule The Georgetown University men's soccer program released its schedule for 2018... Knight and Yaro Earn Awards as Georgetown Holds... Former Georgetown University men’s soccer player Joshua Yaro (Santa... Nikopolidis Joins Men’s Soccer Newcomers for 2018 Goalkeeper Giannis Nikopolidis (Athens, Greece/Nea Genia Zirdi) signed a... Connor Klekota Joins Men’s Soccer Staff Georgetown University Head Coach Brian Wiese has announced the addition of...
Shop Now


widget powered by zoomph


There are no upcoming events within the next week.