Hoyas Advance to BIG EAST Quarterfinals

Nov. 6, 2008

Box Score
Photo Gallery

Washington, D.C. - The Georgetown University men's soccer team defeated the sixth-seeded University of Cincinnati Bearcats in the first round of the BIG EAST Tournament Thursday at North Kehoe Field. The third-seeded Hoyas used a ten-minute flurry of goals to get the 3-1 victory and move on to face South Florida on Sunday in Tampa, Fla. This marks the first BIG EAST Tournament win for Head Coach Brian Wiese in his third season on the Hilltop.

The Bearcats opened the scoring when Judson McKinney managed to control a rebound off of GU goalkeeper Matthew Brutto's (Warrington, Pa./Central Bucks South) save to make it 1-0 and give the young squad some energy. However, just four minutes later the Hoyas would turn the tide with the most explosive seven minutes of the season.

"I thought the guys did a really good job going down a goal," said Head Coach Brian Wiese. "In the first half I thought we started playing very well...soccer is a game of ebbs and flows and as you play good teams its going to go the other way. The difference today is that when we took over the game, we got goals, some terrific goals."

In the 17th minute, GU was awarded its first corner of the contest and took advantage as Mark Zeman (Western Springs, Ill./Lyons Twp.) sent a perfect cross into the box for Scott Larrabee (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif./Loyola HS of LA) to head in for the equalizer. With momentum from the tying goal, the Hoya offense went on the attack once more in the 22nd minute as Corey Zeller (Toms River, N.J./Toms River) almost collided with his teammate deep on the right side of the goal but managed to control the ball and get through a wall of defenders with slick footwork to find the back of the net and put GU ahead 2-1.



The third and final goal of the day started with a long run from forward Chandler Diggs (Coppell, Texas/Coppell) who was fouled in the box. On the ensuing penalty kick, Georgetown's first of the season, Peter Grasso (Burr Ridge,Ill./Hinsdale Central) sent it into the corner of the net to give GU a two-goal lead.

After the three goals, Cincinnati managed to regroup and put together a number of solid attacks, but the Hoya defense buckled down and managed to stop each shot for the remaining 66 minutes. Georgetown also had a few chances in the second half, but the Hoyas just couldn't connect making the final 3-1.

GU outshot Cincinnati 13-12, but for the first time in 10 games, took fewer corners than the opposition attempting just five to the Bearcats' nine. Brutto finished with three saves in goal for the game.

"I couldn't be happier for the guys to get into the quarterfinals. Overall, this is a terrific result for us in the BIG EAST Tournament and we're looking forward to another rematch against South Florida," said Wiese.

The Hoyas will now travel to South Florida on Sunday to face the second-seeded Bulls. Georgetown fell just short to USF earlier this season at North Kehoe Field and will be looking to avenge a BIG EAST Tournament loss from last year when the Bulls knocked the Hoyas out of the opening round down in Florida. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m., at the USF Soccer Stadium. Check the BIG EAST's Championship Central web page at www.BIGEAST.org for a webcast and live stats.

More Headlines
Men’s Soccer Releases 2018 Schedule The Georgetown University men's soccer program released its schedule for 2018... Knight and Yaro Earn Awards as Georgetown Holds... Former Georgetown University men’s soccer player Joshua Yaro (Santa... Nikopolidis Joins Men’s Soccer Newcomers for 2018 Goalkeeper Giannis Nikopolidis (Athens, Greece/Nea Genia Zirdi) signed a... Connor Klekota Joins Men’s Soccer Staff Georgetown University Head Coach Brian Wiese has announced the addition of...
Shop Now


widget powered by zoomph


There are no upcoming events within the next week.