March 8, 2014
LOS ANGELES – The Georgetown men’s tennis team (5-5) fell to the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos (4-8) in a 7-0 sweep on Saturday afternoon in Santa Barbara, Calif.
The men had a tough day in the first match of their California road trip.
Georgetown dropped all three doubles matches. Senior co-captain Casey Distaso (The Woodlands, Texas/Edmond North) and sophomore Daniel Khanin (Baldwin, N.Y./Pendleton) fought hard in the No. 2 doubles match, eventually losing, 8-7.
The Hoyas did not have much better luck in the singles portion, dropping all six matches.
The loss was the first time the Blue & Gray has been swept since they fell to Marquette, 4-0, on April 19, 2013 last season.
The men travel to Riverside, Calif. for a Mon., March 10 match against UC Riverside as they look to get back on track. The men then close out the week against UC Irvine on Tues., March 11.
UC Santa Barbara 7, Georgetown 0
1. Galskov/Sultan (UCSB) def. Tropiano/Korber (GU) 8-1
2. Johnsson/Seemann (UCSB) def. Distaso/Khanin (GU) 8-7
3. Hamilton/Riminton (UCSB) def. Murphy/Portner (GU) 8-3
1. Tobias Galskov (UCSB) def. Daniel Khanin (GU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) def. Shane Korber (GU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Sasha Gryaznov (UCSB) def. Jack Murphy (GU) 4-1, Ret.
4. Erik Johnsson (UCSB) def. Alex Tropiano (GU) 5-7, 7-6 (10-8)
5. Teague Hamilton (UCSB) def. Casey Distaso (GU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Miles Seemann (UCSB) def. John Brosens (GU) 6-1, 7-6
Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 3, 2); Singles (3, 2, 1, 5, 6, 4)