March 10, 2014
LOS ANGELES – The Georgetown men’s tennis team (5-6) lost a close match against the UC Riverside Highlanders (2-15), 4-3, in the second match in its California road trip on Monday afternoon.
Georgetown’s Daniel Khanin (Baldwin, N.Y./Pendleton) earned a No. 1 singles victory over UCR’s Luis Gastao in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3. With the victory, the sophomore improved to 5-6 from the No. 1 position for the Hoyas during duals play.
Junior Alex Tropiano (Laurel Hollow, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor) won in his first No. 3 position match for the Hoyas this season in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, on Monday afternoon as he improved to 5-3 for singles play this spring.
Senior co-captain Casey Distaso (The Woodlands, Texas/Edmond North) defeated Riverside’s Sean Yun, 6-0, 6-2, from the No. 4 position as he moved back to .500 with a 5-5 singles record in 2014.
The squad concludes its California trip when they take on the UC Irvine Anteaters (4-9) at the Anteater Tennis Stadium in Irvine, Calif., tomorrow, Tues., March 11 at 1 p.m. ET, 10 a.m. PT.
UC Riverside 4, Georgetown 3
March 10, 2014
1. Bridge/Carella (UCR) vs. Shane Korber / Alex Tropiano (GU) DNF
2. Felich/Vizcarra (UCR) def. Casey Distaso / Daniel Khanin (GU) 8-3
3. Gastao/Robles (UCR) def. Jack Murphy / Yannik Mahlangu (GU) 8-4
1. Daniel Khanin (GU) def. Luis Gastao (UCR) 6-1, 6-3
2. Cooper Bridge (UCR) def. Shane Korber (GU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
3. Alex Tropiano (GU) def. Jack Felich (UCR) 6-2, 6-2
4. Casey Distaso (GU) def. Sean Yun (UCR) 6-0, 6-2
5. Marcus Vizcarra (UCR) def. Yannik Mahlangu (GU) 6-1, 5-1 ret.
6. Michael Carella (UCR) def. John Brosens (GU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2