April 6, 2007
Washington, D.C. - The Georgetown University men's tennis team won its third BIG EAST Conference match of the season at Villanova on Thursday. The match was moved indoors due to inclement weather. The Hoyas improve to 11-7 overall on the year with a 3-1 mark in league play.
The Hoyas picked up the doubles point for a quick 1-0 edge as the doubles duo of juniors Jeffrey Schnell (Short Hills, N.J./Millburn) and Ted Tywang (Nashville, Tenn./Montgomery Bell Academy) won their fifth match of the season.
Freshman Will Lowell (Nahant, Mass./Saddlebrook Prep) started the rally with a two-set win at the third singles position. Tywang won his eighth singles match of the year for the Blue and Gray to lead, 3-0.
Senior Bert Baggio (Coopersburg, Pa./Southern Lehigh) clinched the victory for Georgetown with a three-set win at the fifth singles spot.
The three remaining matches went to Georgetown for the 7-0 sweep.
Georgetown 7, Villanova 0
1. Sean Daly/Dimitri Chimerakis (Villanova) def. Etienne Paris/Kevin Walsh (Georgetown) 9-7
2. Will Lowell/Anthony Tan (Georgetown) def. Scott Fahrendorf/Brian Maher (Villanova) 8-6
3. Jeffrey Schnell/Ted Tywang (Georgetown) def. Alex Leeser/Charlie Farmer (Villanova) 8-3
1. Jeffrey Schnell (Georgetown) def. Sean Daly (Villanova) 6-2, 5-7, 6-1
2. Anthony Tan (Georgetown) def. Brian Maher (Villanova) 6-3, 6-4
3. Will Lowell (Georgetown) def. Scott Fahrendorf (Villanova) 6-4, 7-5
4. Adam Gross (Georgetown) def. Dimitri Chimerakis (Villanova) 6-7(7), 6-0, 1-0(10-6)
5. Bert Baggio (Georgetown) def. Brett Tobin (Villanova
-7(5), 6-3, 6-2 * 6. Ted Tywang (Georgetown) def. Alex Leeser (Villanova) 6-3, 6-4
* indicates deciding match