April 26, 2014
WASHINGTON – The No. 6 seeded Georgetown men’s tennis team (7-13, 1-2 BIG EAST) fell to No. 3 DePaul on Friday in the quarterfinals at the BIG EAST Championship presented by NEW YORK LIFE in Flushing Meadows, N.Y. The match was played at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Georgetown’s backdraw match against No. 7 Creighton scheduled for Saturday evening was subsequently cancelled.
The Hoyas dropped the doubles point, 3-0, before losing three singles matches as DePaul secured the 4-0 victory.
Sophomore Daniel Khanin (Baldwin, N.Y./Pendleton) dropped the No. 1 singles match, 6-3, 6-4. Khanin finished the spring with a 10-11 mark from the No. 1 position.
Juniors Shane Korber (Newport Beach, Calif./Corona Del Mar) and John Brosens (Bedford, N.Y./Brunswick School) both fell in their singles matches from the No. 2 and 6 spots, respectively, in straight sets. Korber played 19 matches from the No. 2 position this season.
Junior Alex Tropiano (Laurel Hollow, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor), freshman Jack Murphy (Coronado, Calif./La Jolla Country Day) and senior co-captain Casey Distaso (The Woodlands, Texas/Edmond North) played from the No. 3, 4 and 5 positions, but did not finish their matches.
Previously, Georgetown last faced DePaul in 2008, falling in a February dual matchup, 6-1, in Chicago, Ill.
DePaul will face No. 1 seeded St. John’s in the Championship match on Sunday, April 27.
Friday, April 25
No. 3 DePaul defeats No. 6 Georgetown, 4-0
1. Filip Dzanko/David Vieyra (DPU) def. Alex Tropiano/Shane Korber (GU), 8-4
2. Sten Leusink/Kyle Johnson (DPU) def. Casey Distaso/Daniel Khanin (GU), 8-2
3. Adam Reinhart/Jan-Willem-Feilzer (DPU) leading Jack Murphy/Jordan Portner (GU), 7-6
Order of Finish: 2, 1 (3 DNF)
1. Dzanko (DPU) def. Khanin (GU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Leusink (DPU) def. Korber (GU), 6-2, 7-6 (1)
3. Vieyra (DPU) leading Tropiano (GU), 6-4, 4-6, 3-2
4. Joshua Schramm (DPU) tied with Murphy (GU), 6-3, 4-6
5. Johnson (DPU) tied Distaso (GU), 2-6, 7-6 (3)
6. Feilzer (DPU) def. Brosens (GU), 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 2 (3, 4, 5 DNF)