Georgetown Plays to 1-1 Double Overtime Draw with DePaul in Conference Opener

Georgetown played to a 1-1 double overtime draw with DePaul on Thursday.

Sept. 26, 2013

Box Score

WASHINGTON - No. 10 Georgetown fell behind early, but tied the game in the second half and had a 20-shot advantage overall, but could not get the go-ahead goal as the Hoyas played to a 1-1 double overtime draw with DePaul in the BIG EAST Conference opener for both teams at Shaw Field on Thursday evening.

The Hoyas, ranked No. 10 in the country by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) and No. 8 by Soccer America, are now 8-0-2 this season and 0-0-1 in the league, while DePaul is 6-1-2 and 0-0-1. The tie extends Georgetown's unbeaten streak to 10 games, tying the school record set by the 2008 team. It also extended the team's unbeaten streak at home to 18 games, dating back to the 2011 season.

"I'm not really sure what happened (on the first goal)," Head Coach Davei Nolan said. "It looked like a harmless play down the line and a pretty innocuous cross in. I'm not sure if it caught a deflection, which had Emma (Newins) leaning one way, but it was disappointing to start that way. It wasn't like we didn't come out focused. Our sport is funny like that. Sometimes the better team doesn't win. Sometimes you have a day where the stars are in alignment a certain way. It's not like we didn't create chances and do what we wanted to do. We knew they were going to be dangerous on the counter-attack, which they were, but on another day, we might have some of those go in."

DePaul scored in the second minute of the game and held its lead through the early portion of the second half. The Hoyas tied the game on a header from senior Mary Kroening (Woodbury, Minn./Woodbury) in the 58th minute of a second half that was completely dominated by the Blue & Gray, with a 13-3 shot advantage.

In the early moments of extra time, junior midfielder Daphne Corboz (Green Brook, N.J./Watchung Hills) hit the far post with a shot that bounced into the middle of the box. Senior forward Kaitlin Brenn (Branchburg, N.J./Somerville) quickly picked up the loose ball and took a shot but it was saved by DePaul goalkeeper Alejandria Godinez, who finished the day with 14 saves.



The teams went back and forth through the remainder of the first overtime, with a shot from Corboz wide and one from junior forward Audra Ayotte (Marlborough, N.J./RHAM) saved, and through the second 10 minutes, but no dangerous scoring chances developed. In the final seconds of the game, the Hoyas took a corner kick - their 17th of the game, and the ball from Corboz landed in the box and Brenn took a toe poke at it as it bounced in but Godinez was there for her final save.

Georgetown out-shot DePaul, 26-5, including 5-0 in the overtime periods (4-0 in the first) and held a 17-2 advantage in corner kicks.

DePaul took only two shots in the first half, but the Blue Demons took advantage of their first, scoring in the second minute to take a 1-0 lead they held through the start of the second half. After controlling the opening kickoff, Elise Wyatt sent a thru ball from the top left of the box to Ashleigh Goddard. Goddard was planted on the close left side of the box and she snuck a shot that dribbled past junior goalkeeper Emma Newins (Glen Allen, Va./Deep Run) at 1:41, giving the Blue Demons the lead.

The Blue Demons had one other shot, a blast Wyatt in the 12th minute that was saved by Newins, but otherwise, it was all Georgetown. The Blue & Gray out-shot DePaul 9-2 in the opening 45 minutes and held a 9-0 advantage in corner kicks, but could not net the equalizer.

Trailing 1-0 at the break, the Hoyas attacked early and often. A shot from Corboz was saved by Godinez in the opening minute of action. Georgetown had three corner kicks over the next minutes and it was on the third that the team finally connected. Corboz took the corner from the near side and sent her shot to the near post where senior defender Mary Kroening (Woodbury, Minn./Woodbury) headed it past Godinez at 57:16, tying the game.

The Hoyas attacked virtually the entire second half, with nearly the entire run of play in the offensive end. The best chance came in the 64th minute when a hand ball was called in the box on the Blue Demons. Corboz took the penalty kick, but it was saved by Godinez. The rebound bounced out to the feet of Brenn, but her shot from six yards out went just wide of the goal.

Shots continued to fly from the Blue & Gray. Brenn had a shot blocked in the 69th minute, Corboz had a shot in the box saved by Godinez in the 76th minute, Brenn had another saved by Godinez in the 81st minute and Ayotte had a shot go wide 30 seconds later.

DePaul's first chance of the second half came in the 83rd minute after a near-side throw in. The throw-in was sent across the box and a shot from Marykate Cicinelli was saved by Newins

Georgetown is back in action on Sunday, Sept. 29 as BIG EAST Conference play continues with the team hosting new league member Xavier. Kickoff at Shaw Field is slated for 1 p.m.

More Headlines
Women’s Soccer Announces Fall 2018 Schedule The Georgetown University women’s soccer team released its schedule for... Farrell Receives Call Up to U-23 National Training Camp Junior forward Caitlin Farrell (Wallingford, Conn./Choate Rosemary Hall) was ... Nally Called Into U-19 National Training Camp Sophomore defender Meaghan Nally (Herndon, Va./South Lakes) was called up to ... Women’s Soccer Holds Annual Banquet The Georgetown University women’s soccer team held its annual banquet...
Shop Now


widget powered by zoomph


There are no upcoming events within the next week.