March 8, 2014
LOS ANGELES – The Georgetown women’s tennis team (3-7) narrowly defeated Cal State Fullerton on this road this afternoon in Fullerton, Calif., 4-3. The women have now won two matches in a row.
Senior co-captain Madeline Jaeger (Laguna Beach, Calif./Laguna Beach) defeated CSF’s Camille De Leon in the No. 3 position, 6-1, 6-1. The win moved the California native back to .500 individually in duals play. She now owns a 5-5 mark.
Freshman Sophia Barnard (Mill Neck, N.Y./Portledge School) won in the No. 4 spot for the Hoyas in three sets, 6-0, 1-6, 6-4. Barnard is 2-0 in the No. 4 position in duals play this season.
Sophomore Liselot Koenen (St. Charles, Ill./St. Charles North) earned Georgetown’s third and final singles victory in the No. 6 position defeating Fullerton’s Rebekkah Erma in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4.
Koenen and Saperstein also helped GU earn the doubles point with a win in the No. 1 doubles position. The pairing owns a 3-0 record together this year.
Barnard and junior Sophie Panarese (Milton, Mass./Milton Academy) won the No. 3 doubles position for their second win together.
The Hoyas are back in action on Thurs., March 13 against UC Riverside in Riverside, Calif. at 3 p.m. ET, noon PT.
Georgetown 4, Cal State Fullerton 3
1. Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. Victoire Saperstein (GU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Kelly Comolli (GU) 6-1, 1-6, 6-4
3. Madeline Jaeger (GU) def. Camille De Leon (CSF) 6-1, 6-1
4. Sophia Barnard (GU) def. Kalika Slevcove (CSF) 6-0, 1-6, 6-4
5. Megan Sandford (CSF) def. Sophie Panarese (GU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
6. Liselot Koenen (GU) def. Rebekkah Ermac (CSF) 6-4, 6-4
1. Liselot Koenen / Victoire Saperstein (GU) def. Camille De Leon / Morgan McIntosh (CSF) 8-4
2. Kalika Slevcove / Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. Kelly Comolli / Madeline Jaeger (GU) 8-4
3. Sophia Barnard / Sophie Panarese (GU) def. Melanie Abella / Megan Sandford (CSF) 8-4