March 19, 2009
Washington, D.C. - The Georgetown University tennis squad fell to the University of Delaware Blue Hens Wednesday afternoon at the McDonough Tennis Complex. The Hoyas had a number of close sets but couldn't come away with a few more matches to lose, 6-1. Freshman Jacquie Harrison (Encinitas, Calif./La Costa Canyon) was the lone winner for GU as the Hoyas prepare for a BIG EAST conference matchup on Friday afternoon.
Harrison defeated her opponent at No. 4 singles, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4, to give Georgetown its lone win. At No. 1 singles, freshman Aileen Shea (Great Falls, Va./The Potomac School) won the first set but couldn't keep the momentum losing 4-6, 7-5, 6-2. Maxie Thiels lost at No. 2 falling 6-3, 6-1 and Caroline Kuehn (Birmingham, Ala./Mountain Brook) dropped the No. 3 match 6-1, 6-3.
Alex Sebia (Plains, Pa./Scranton Prep) put together a hard-fought match at No. 5 but eventually fell 7-6, 7-5, 5-7, 10-8. Rounding out the singles play was Briana Kearney (Lake Bluff, Ill./Lake Forest) at the six spot losing 6-3, 6-2.
In doubles play, the No. 2 duo of Sebia and Shea won 8-6. However, Thiels and Kuehn lost 8-3 at No. 1 and the team of Kearney and Harrison fell 8-2 to give Delaware the doubles point and the 6-1 victory.
The Hoyas will travel to St. John's on Friday for their second BIG EAST dual match of the season. The event is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.
Delaware 6, Georgetown 1
1. Elena Berry (UD) def. Aileen Shea (GU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. Megan Doran def. Maxie Thiels (GU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Ivana Petrich def. Caroline Kuehn (GU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Jacquie Harrison (GU) def. Jo Jo Gruber (UD) 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
5. Amanda Campbell (UD) def. Alex Sebia (GU) 7-6, 7-5, 5-7, 10-8
6. Samantha Carnall (UD) def. Briana Kearney (GU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Berry/Gruber def. Thiels/Kuehn 8-3
2. Sebia/Shea def. Petrich/Carnall 8-6
3. Doran/Campbell def. Kearney/Harrison 8-2