March 20, 2014
WASHINGTON – The Georgetown women’s tennis team (6-7) defeated Richmond, 4-3, on Thursday afternoon on the McDonough Outdoor Tennis Complex courts on Georgetown’s campus. The victory came as the fifth-straight for the Hoyas; a winning streak which began on Feb. 22 against Montana State and continued through the three-match California trip.
Georgetown could not come away with the initial doubles point, but proved that they could handle themselves in singles play as they took four of six matches from the Spiders.
Freshman Victoire Saperstein (Las Vegas, Nev./Odyssey Charter School) improved to 3-2 in the No. 1 position for the Hoyas with a three-set win over Richmond’s Anna Abadias, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2. The victory moved Saperstein to 6-4 in the duals season.
Senior co-captain Kelly Comolli (Newburyport, Mass./Phillips Exeter Academy) won in the No. 2 position after dropping the first set, 1-6, 6-4, 6-4. The senior came back to earn her fifth duals win on the season. She now owns a 3-3 mark in the No. 2 spot.
Fellow senior co-captain Madeline Jaeger (Laguna Beach, Calif./Laguna Beach) earned a straight-set defeat over Richmond’s Elizabeth Sim, 6-2, 7-5. The co-captain owns a 3-2 mark for the Hoyas in the No. 3 position and is now 6-7 for duals play.
Sophomore Liselot Koenen (St. Charles, Ill./St. Charles North) also won in straight sets, 6-0, 6-3, over Kelsey Williams of Richmond on the No. 6 court. Koenen won her fourth-straight match on Thursday afternoon.
Although they did not win the doubles point, Georgetown’s Saperstein and Koenen won in the No. 1 doubles spot, 8-5. The pair improved to 4-1 with the win, all in the No. 1 spot for the Hoyas this spring.
Georgetown women’s tennis looks to extend its winning streak on Sat., March 22 when they host the Providence Friars at the McDonough Outdoor Tennis Complex. Play is set to begin at 10 a.m.
Georgetown 4, Richmond 3
Thursday, March 20, 2014
McDonough Outdoor Tennis Complex
1. Liselot Koenen / Victoire Saperstein (GU) def. Melissa Kandinata / Anna Abadias Morales (RICH); 8-5
2. Katya Salas / Brittany Boys (RICH) def. Kelly Comolli / Madeline Jaeger (GU); 9-7
3. Denny Lamachia / Elizabeth Sims (RICH) def. Sophie Barnard / Sophie Panarese (GU); 8-6
1. Victoire Saperstein (GU) def. Anna Abadias Morales (RICH); 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
2. Kelly Comolli (GU) def. Melissa Kandinata (RICH); 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Madeline Jaeger (GU) def. Elizabeth Sims (RICH); 6-2, 7-5
4. Brittany Boys (RICH) def. Sophia Barnard (GU); 6-0, 6-4
5. Katya Salas (RICH) def. Sophie Panarese (GU); 6-7, 6-3, 10-6
6. Liselot Koenen (GU) def. Kelsey Williams (RICH); 6-0, 6-3