March 28, 2014
WASHINGTON – The Georgetown women’s tennis team (7-8, 1-2 BIG EAST) dropped a neutral site, non-conference matchup on Friday afternoon to the James Madison Dukes (9-3, 1-1 CAA) by the score of 4-3. The match was moved from James Madison’s home site to the Arlington YMCA in Arlington, Va. because of inclement weather earlier in the week.
The Hoyas came into the match having won their previous six matches, a streak that started with a 6-1 win over Montana State on Feb. 22 and continued with three wins on a road trip to southern California before they defeated Richmond and Providence last weekend.
James Madison came into the matchup having won its three previous matches
Georgetown dropped all three doubles matches, sacrificing the doubles point to the Dukes to start the match.
Hoya freshman Victoire Saperstein (Las Vegas, Nev./Odyssey Charter School) won one of three singles matches on the afternoon. Saperstein dropped James Madison’s Taylor Pinchoff, 6-2, 7-5, in straight sets for her third-straight No. 1 position victory. The freshman is 5-2 since taking over in the No. 1 spot which coincided with the beginning of Georgetown’s winning streak on Feb. 22.
Senior co-captain Madeline Jaeger (Laguna Beach, Calif./Laguna Beach) also won her third-straight match when she defeated Rachel Nelson of James Madison in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4, from the No. 3 position. The senior improved her duals record to 8-7 with five of those wins coming from the No. 3 spot.
Georgetown freshman Sophia Barnard (Mill Neck, N.Y./Portledge School) improved to 7-8 with a No. 4 position win over James Madison’s Emily Bradshaw, 6-2, 6-2. The freshman has won six of her last seven matches for the Hoyas.
The women are back in action on Fri., April 4 when they host Seton Hall in a BIG EAST matchup. Play is currently scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. ET at the McDonough Outdoor Tennis Complex on Georgetown’s campus. The Hoyas also host Connecticut the next day, Sat., April 5 at noon ET.
James Madison 4, Georgetown 3
1. Victoire Saperstein (GU) def. Taylor Pinchoff (JMU); 6-2, 7-5
2. Alex Hule (JMU) def. Kelly Comolli (GU); 6-3, 0-6, 6-1
3. Madeline Jaeger (GU) def. Rachel Nelson (JMU); 6-2, 6-4
4. Sophia Barnard (GU) def. Emily Bradshaw (JMU); 6-2, 6-2
5. Ruxandra Andriescu (JMU) def. Sophie Panarese (GU); 6-3, 7-6
6. Jacqueline Palmucci (JMU) def. Liselot Koenen (GU); 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
1. Taylor Pinchoff / Alex Hule (JMU) def. Liselot Koenen / Taylor Perz (GU); 8-4
2. Jacqueline Palmucci / Ruxandra Andriescu (JMU) def. Madeline Jaeger / Kelly Comolli (GU); 8-2
3. Rachel Nelson / Cara Wirth (JMU) def. Victoire Saperstein / Sophie Panarese (GU); 8-5