April 9, 2014
WASHINGTON – The Georgetown women’s tennis team (9-9, 2-2 BIG EAST) defeated UMBC (6-9) in a non-conference match, 4-3, on Wednesday afternoon in Baltimore, Md.
Georgetown won the doubles point to start the match.
The two squads split the six singles matches, 3-3, which gave Georgetown the 4-3 win.
Senior co-captain Kelly Comolli (Newburyport, Mass./Phillips Exeter Academy) earned one of the three singles wins with a straight-set defeat of UMBC’s Madlena Kuraz in the No. 2 position, 7-5, 6-1. The win came as Comolli’s seventh on the dual season. She is now 5-6 from the No. 2 position.
Junior Sophie Panarese (Milton, Mass./Milton Academy) and sophomore Liselot Koenen (St. Charles, Ill./St. Charles North) clinched the match for the Blue & Gray with their respective No. 5 and 6 spot victories. Panarese defeated Adriana Aldunate, 6-4, 6-0, moving the Georgetown junior to 8-9 on the spring. Koenen dropped Kosefin Stange-Jonsson in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1, for her eighth win of the dual season.
The Georgetown women will face Old Dominion in Washington, D.C., on Fri., April 11.
Georgetown 4, UMBC 3
- Victoire Saperstein / Liselot Koenen (GU) def. Kosefin Stange-Jonsson / Madlena Kurasz (UMBC); 8-2
- Madeline Jaeger / Taylor Perz (GU) def. Mariami Dolashvili / Isabel Aldunate (UMBC); 8-4
- Sophie Panarese / Sophia Barnard (GU) vs. Kim Berghaus / Adriana Aldunate (UMBC); unfinished
- Kim Berghaus (UMBC) def. Victoire Saperstein (GU); 6-1, 6-0
- Kelly Comolli (GU) def. Madlena Kurasz (UMBC); 7-5, 6-1
- Mariami Dolashvili (UMBC) def. Madeline Jaeger (GU); 6-4, 6-4
- Isabel Aldunate (UMBC) def. Sophia Barnard (GU); 6-3, 0-6, 6-3
- Sophie Panarese (GU) def. Adriana Aldunate (UMBC); 6-4, 6-0
- Liselot Koenen (GU) def. Kosefin Stange-Jonsson (UMBC); 6-0, 6-1