Georgetown Women's Tennis Defeats James Madison, 6-1
April 10, 2008
HARRISONBURG, Va. - The Georgetown women's tennis team (6-11) swept doubles play and won all but one of the six singles matches to defeat James Madison, 6-1 in a non-conference match on Thursday afternoon.
GU jumped out quickly sweeping doubles play, as the top duo of junior Courtney Olsen (Englewood, Colo./Colorado Academy) and senior Stephanie Cohen (Fayetteville, N.Y./DeWitt) won, 8-6 and the freshmen pair of Alex Sebia (Plains, Pa./Scranton Prep) and Elizabeth Sullivan (Potomac, Md./National Cathedral School) won by the same score. Freshmen Maxi Thiels (Atlanta, Ga./The Lovett School) and Caroline Kuehn (Birmingham, Ala./Mountain Brook) cruised in the third doubles match, 8-1.
Cohen got the Hoyas off to a good start in singles play, defeating Rebecca Erickson, 6-3, 7-5 in the No. 1 singles match and Olsen won the second singles match 6-1, 6-4. Sebia and Kuehn each earned straight-set victories in the fifth and sixth spot respectively and Maxi Thiels held off Kelly Maxwell in three sets, 6-4, 3-6, 10-5, concluding a 6-1 victory.
The Hoyas take the court next on Saturday, April 12 when they travel to Farmville, Va. to take on Longwood.
Georgetown 6, JMU 1
1. Stephanie Cohen (GU) def. Rebecca Erickson (JMU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Courtney Olsen (GU) def. Kristin Nimitz (JMU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Anna Khoor (JMU) def. Elizabeth Sullivan (GU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Maxi Thiels (GU) def. Kelly Maxwell (JMU) 6-4, 3-6, 10-5
5. Alex Sebia (GU) def. Alyssa Brandalik (JMU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Caroline Kuehn (GU) def. Ida Donner (JMU) 6-3, 6-1