Barnard at the BIG EAST Championship.
April 26, 2014
WASHINGTON – The Georgetown women’s tennis team (11-11, 4-3 BIG EAST) concluded play at the BIG EAST Championship presented by NEW YORK LIFE this weekend in Flushing Meadows, N.Y. The fifth-seeded Hoyas fell on Friday to the No. 4 seed St. John’s Red Storm, 4-3. Georgetown followed the loss up with a 4-1 backdraw victory over No. 9 Villanova on Saturday.
Georgetown vs. St. John’s
The Hoyas dropped the early doubles point and fought tough in the singles portion of the match as they ultimately fell to St. John’s, 4-3.
Liselot Koenen’s (St. Charles, Ill./St. Charles North) No. 6 match was the first singles match turned in as she defeated SJU’s Puck Vlaskamp, 6-3, 6-1.
Freshman Victoire Saperstein (Las Vegas, Nev./Odyssey Charter School) defeated St. John’s Nastya Polyakova, 6-3, 6-3, from the No. 1 position. At the time, St. John’s had a 3-2 edge over the Hoyas.
Fellow freshman Sophia Barnard (Mill Neck, N.Y./Portledge School) tied the match up at 3-3 with a straight set, 7-5, 6-3 win over Diamond Adams of the Red Storm from the No. 4 position.
Junior Sophie Panarese (Milton, Mass./Milton Academy) played in the only three-set match, falling to Stephanie Elgegren of St. John’s. Panarese won the first set, 7-5, but dropped the second and third sets, 6-4, 6-3, as St. John’s picked up the win to move onto semifinals play.
Georgetown vs. Villanova
Georgetown followed up the Friday loss with a Saturday win over No. 9 Villanova in a backdraw match, 4-1, thus concluding Georgetown’s presence at the BIG EAST Championship.
The Hoyas recently defeated the Wildcats in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, April 16 in GU’s regular-season finale, 4-3.
No.1 DePaul will face No. 3 Xavier in the championship match on Sunday, April 27.
Friday, April 25: No. 4 St. John’s defeats No. 5 Georgetown, 4-3
1. Liselot Koenen and Victoire Saperstein (GU) def. Yanita Arnaudova and Anna Morozova (SJU), 8-2
2. Nastya Polyakova and Diamond Adams (SJU) def. Madeline Jaeger and Kelly Comolli (GU), 8-4
3. Stephanie Elgegren and Puck Vlaskamp (SJU) def. Sophie Panarese and Sophia Barnard (GU), 8-7 (6)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Saperstein (GU) def. Polyakova (SJU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Morozova (SJU) def. Comolli (GU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Arnaudova (SJU) def. Jaeger (GU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Barnard (GU) def. Adams (SJU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Elgregen (SJU) def. Panarese (GU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
6. Koenen (GU) def. Vlaskamp (SJU) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 3, 1, 4, 5
Saturday, April 26: No. 5 Georgetown defeats No. 9 Villanova, 4-1
1. Koenen and Saperstein (GU) def. Mancini and Smyth (VU), 8-4
2. Jaeger and Comolli (GU) leading Busby and Pettee (VU), 7-3
3. Panarese and Perz (GU) def. Schafer and Brewer (VU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3 (2 DNF)
1. Saperstein (GU) def. Mancini (VU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Comolli (GU) def. Smyth (VU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Schafer (VU) def. Jaeger (GU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Barnard (GU) def. Pettee (VU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Koenen (GU) vs. Busby (VU) DNP
6. Foley (GU) vs. Brewer (VU) DNP
No. 5 Georgetown Set to Compete at BIG EAST...
Georgetown women's tennis (10-10, 3-2 BIG EAST) is scheduled to open the 2014 BIG EAST...
Women's Tennis Defeats Villanova, 4-3, on...
The Georgetown women's tennis team (10-10, 3-2 BIG EAST) defeated the Villanova Wildcats (4-15, 0...
Women's Tennis Falls to Old Dominion at Home, 4-2
The Georgetown women's tennis team (9-10) dropped a match, 4-2, on Friday afternoon at the...
Women's Tennis Defeats UMBC, 4-3, in Baltimore ...
The Georgetown women's tennis team defeated UMBC in non-conference matchup on Wednesday afternoon...
Women's Tennis Drops Close 4-3 Match to UConn...
The Georgetown women's tennis team (8-9, 2-2 BIG EAST) dropped a non-conference match on Saturday...
Women's Tennis Defeats Seton Hall in BIG EAST...
The Georgetown women's tennis team (8-8, 2-2 BIG EAST) moved back to .500 with a BIG EAST matchup...
Women's Tennis Falls to James Madison, 4-3,...
The Georgetown women's tennis team (7-8, 1-2 BIG EAST) dropped a neutral site, non-conference...
Women's Tennis Sweeps Providence For Sixth-Stra...
The Georgetown women's tennis team (7-7, 1-2 BIG EAST) swept the Providence Friars (4-8, 0-2 BIG ...
DOWNLOAD SCHEDULE: Add to calendar
There are no upcoming events.
- Online Stores & Tickets